In 2001, Jpop diva, Utada Hikaura released “Final Distance” her 7th Japanese-language single and the 1st single from her Deep River album. “Final Distance” was the first song that Utada Hikaru’s ex-husband Kazuaki Kiriya filmed the music video to and it was the first time that Utada Hikaru collaborated with Japanese rapper M-Flo. The song debuted at #2 on the Oricon charts in its first week and had a tie-in as the NTT docomo M-stage CM song.
“Final Distance” originally appeared in the Distance album, and was planned to be released as a single. However, Utada heard of a school stabbing rampage in which 6 year old schoolgirl Rena Yamashita (山下玲奈) had died. Rena had previously won an essay competition; writing about how she wanted to become a singer just like Utada. Utada decided to rearrange the song into ballad form, creating the song “Final Distance”.
Which version of Final Distance do you like most?
Utada Hikaru Videos
Like Utada Hikaru’s music? We do! See more or purchase here.
- Miracle Hikaru, Utada Hikaru impersonator
- Aya Matsuura covers Utada Hikaru songs
- Utada Hikaru First love
- Hikaru Wakana sexy kickboxer and JAV idol
- Boyz II Men Japanese songs 2011 Japan Tour
- MC Yamane rap version of Utada Hikaru’s First Love
- Sour Hibi no Neiro Music Video
- Utada Hikaru and David Beckham on Japanese game show
- Nana Tanimura’s first album Nana Best and single MY WAY
- Ketsumeishi’s new single Ballad is their first Ballad