It was just a matter of time but between Jan 23 2010 and March 14 2010 , if you’ re in the Asakusa 浅草 shopping and tourist part of Tokyo you can use real Hello Kitty Money at 500 participating shops. Asakusa is known as the “traditional” part of Tokyo with the Sensoji temple 浅草寺 and old style shops that draw in the tourists local and foreign.
The Hello Kitty Money is more of marketing gimmick than a real local currency but if you’re interested in using them or just collecting them, you can start ordering them (5 x 1,000 Yen notes or 10 x 500 Yen coins) for 4,750 Yen at the sanrio website. Order today as only 30,000 1,000 Yen notes and 30,000 500 Yen coins will be issued (payment by credit card only).
- Hello Kitty’s pet cat Charmmy Kitty
- Hello Kitty Beaujolais Nouveau wine in Japan
- Hello Kitty Tarot cards and book by Ryugi Kagami
- Hello Kitty 3D Animation
- Itazura Coin Bank toy for kids
- Hello Kitty 35th birthday design history video
- Hello Kitty with Don Quijote’s Donpen
- A video trip around Tokyo
- Hello Kitty Demee 2GB music player
- Japanese Ice Cream vending machine aimed at kids